I. Thou Shalt Read Product Labels Carefully
– Make sure a reliable Kosher for Passover certification appears on the package. Don’t assume the product is kosher for Passover just because it is in the Passover section of the supermarket.
II. Thou Shalt Beware of Look-Alikes
– Often Kosher for Passover and non-Kosher for Passover products have identical packaging except for the “P” symbol.
III.Thou Shalt Know That Not All Matzohs are Kosher for Passover
– Stores often do not remove chometzdik matzos from the shelves even after the store is stocked with Kosher for Passover products!
IV. Thou Shalt Know Thine Personal Kashrus Level
– Not all kashrus certifications are created equal. A knowledgeable kosher consumer reduces the chance of buying Kosher for Passover products that may not qualify for a consumer’s personal kosher or Passover kosher standards.
V. Thou Shalt Look Before You Cook!
– Even with the best intentions a non-Kosher for Passover item could be purchased inadvertently.
VI. Thou Shalt Not Assume – Ask!
– If you have a doubt about a product being Kosher for Passover, clarify the question with your Rav or the Star-K Kashrus hotline at 410-484-4110.
VII. Thou Shalt Not Purchase a Product Just Because it was Good Last Year
– Discard all old lists.
VIII. Thou Shalt Sell Your Chometz!
– Avoid problems of chometz she’avar alav haPesach by selling your chometz through your Rav even if you don’t sell “real” chometz.
IX. Thou Shalt Let Your Voice Be Heard
– If you have constructive suggestions how to reduce mistakes or make a consumer’s life easier, let your local grocer and/or local Vaad know…we are not perfect.
X. Thou Shalt Read the Star-K Pesach Book